So you want to own a restaurant someday

Owning a restaurant sure isn't the fantasy that most people envision. As a 25 year veteran of four uniquely different restaurants, I'll share my stories, both past and present. Bon Appetit

Friday, March 10, 2006

I Gotta Go Home!!!

Winter is almost over but you'd never know it watching my waitstaff. They are in the thick of the fake flu season. Funny they don't get sick until they make their way to work and clock in for a while. Then they spend the rest of the setup time in the bathroom, come out hacking and say they have to go home. I might sound insensitive here but let me tell you what's really going on. The waits show up for their shifts and then decide amongst themselves who is going to leave by pretending to be sick. See, what happens here is they are safe from being disciplined because they did show up for their shift (if they call in they must find someone to cover their shift) and now that their ass is covered one of them goes home so the others can pick up more tables and in the end make more money. What they don't realize is that because the shift is short staffed the customers are not going to get the kind of service they should and probably a few tables that day will not return. In the long run shifts get slower and everyone (including me) makes less money in the end. They have the luxury of finding another wait job and start all over again. I have to stay and endure these antics and try to run a business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home